Broccoli and tomato Salad
This is another quick and delicious side using my favourite veggies!
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp cider vinegar
½ tbsp. grainy Dijon mustard
1 Clove of garlic, crushed
1 Head of broccoli, florets only
1 Large tomato, sliced into wedges
¼ Small red (Bermuda) onion, diced
– Mix all the ingredients together for the vinaigrette and set aside.
– Pour some water into a pot with a tight fitting, season the water with salt and bring it to a boil.
– When the water comes to a boil, add the broccoli and cover the pot with the lid; steam the broccoli for two minutes.
– Strain the broccoli and shake off the excess water.
– Promptly combine all ingredients for the salad and then mix in the vinaigrette; you want to add the vinaigrette to the broccoli while it is still hot because it is going to mellow the garlic.
– Taste and adjust seasoning.
– This salad can be served right away or this can be made ahead of time.
- If you can’t find grainy Dijon mustard then use grainy mustard or Dijon (obviously) but the grainy mustards do add a depth of flavour that the Dijon is missing.
- Use any onion you have on hand but I like the colour the red onion adds to the salad here.