Poached Cod Burger
Okay, so technically this is a sandwich, well, open-faced sandwich. This is what I made when I had to use up the guacamole I had made and when there was only enough leftover meatballs for Mike to have a meatball sub. This is a golden opportunity for me to cook fish by the way; when Mike has something to eat because he hates fish! I love poached cod; it’s light, low calorie and really high in protein. This dish comes together really quickly and is so delicious! There is contrasting texture and flavours; honestly, really good! Enjoy my version of a yummy fish sandwich, or burger!
4 100 g Cod Fillets
2 Whole wheat pitas, sliced in half (half moons)
½ cup of my guacamole
1 Medium to large tomato, sliced (you’re looking for 8 slices)
½ Small red onion, sliced and broken into rings
– Bring a large pot of water to boil; season with salt.
– Preheat your oven to 350.
– When the water has come to a boil, place the cod fillets in the water and let them simmer at medium high for about 5 minutes (until the fish has started to fan).
– Warm the pitas in the oven for about 5 minutes; you want them warm but still soft.
– Remove the fillets from the water and set them aside.
– Top the pitas with 2 tbsp of the guacamole (2 tbsp per pita half).
– Top the guacamole with a piece of the poached cod; if the fish fell apart in the water just try and get an even amount of fish on each pita.
– Place tomato slices on top of the fish, there should be 2 slices per pita; season with salt and pepper.
– Top the tomatoes with the red onion rings.
– Voila, my poached cod burger; sandwich!
- This is just a method, use whatever fish and sauce you like here.
- If you like spice you can throw some spicy seasoning on the fish, or hot sauce, or both!