Pan Pizza with Fresh Herbs
This pizza is so yummy and so easy I can’t believe it! I must warn you, I’ve been bitten by the pan-pizza-bug and you will be seeing many, many more recipes; I love this method.
½ Batch of my whole wheat pizza dough
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ Cup Passata (strained tomatoes)
90 g grated part skim mozzarella cheese
2 Sprigs of fresh oregano (leaves only)
2 Sprigs of fresh rosemary (leaves only)
10 Leaves of fresh basil, torn
– Preheat your oven to 400.
– You’ll need a cast iron skillet (preferably) or an oven safe skillet.
– After you have made the dough and it has rested for an hour, pour one tbsp of the olive oil into the cast iron skillet. Use a brush or paper towel to completely grease the pan in an even layer with the oil.
– Turn the heat on the pan to medium high.
– Put the pizza dough in the frying pan (directly from the bowl) and spread it out completely covering the bottom of the pan.
– When the bottom of the pizza is browned and you can see the dough is starting to cook on top, you can build your pizza;
– Spread the passata evenly across the dough and then season well with salt and pepper.
– Top the pizza evenly with the mozzarella.
– Top evenly with the mix of herbs.
– Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until the cheese has melted and is slightly browned; the crust should also be browned at this point.
- This is a great place to switch up the fresh herbs.
- Feel free to try using pizza sauce in place of plain passata but really, it works here!