I love fajitas for a very important reason, a reason near and very dear to my heart; they’re fast! There is nothing like having a healthy, low fat, satisfying dinner (that Mike loves) that is prepped AND cooked in under 20 minutes. A girls favourite!!! Making your own seasoning blend is easy and you control not only the heat but the salt as well. Try it out, so yummy!
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cleaned and sliced thinly into strips
1 Medium onion, sliced into thin strips
1 Medium green pepper, sliced into thin strips
¼ Cup water
½ tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp chili powder
¼ tsp cumin
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
– Start by preparing the fajita seasoning; mix all the ingredients together well (I use a jar).
– Add the olive oil to a large pan and place over high heat, when it’s hot (the oil will ripple) add the chicken to the pan. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
– Sauté for a minute or two, just long enough so the pieces aren’t sticking together anymore. Add the onions and green peppers to the pan; again, season with salt and pepper.
– When the chicken is browned and the veggies are softened, add the seasoning mix, stirring it in well to coat the meat and veggies.
– Pour in the water and mix well, scraping the bottom of the pan to release any flavours (deglazing).
– Drop the heat to medium-low and let the chicken simmer until its cooked and the fajita seasoning has formed a sauce.
– Serve with warmed tortillas and toppings of your choice; I serve salsa, fat free sour cream, diced tomatoes and some grated old cheddar cheese.
1. Thin out the sauce with a little more water if the sauce is too thick.