Buttermilk Ranch Dressing (Almost Fat Free)
I must admit that I thought I had never had buttermilk. It sounds gross and fattening, and when I think of buttermilk I picture Michael Seaver’s face from “Growing Pains”. Anyway, if you’ve ever had a “Cool Ranch Dorito” then you have tasted buttermilk. It is tangy and smells kind of funny but it adds so much (good) flavour; it’s incredible and man does this dressing rock! This recipe makes just over a cup of dressing and should last in your fridge for up to a week, depending on the freshness of the ingredients you use. This recipe will be fat free if you can find fat free buttermilk; I seem to be limited to 1%.
½ Cup fat free sour cream
½ Cup low fat or fat free buttermilk
1 Clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp Fresh dill, chopped (large pinch of dill)
– Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake well.
– Taste and adjust seasoning (about ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper).
- To make it extra fancy, add the juice of half a lemon and the zest of half a lemon.
- You can use regular or spicy Dijon mustard.
- The garlic flavour intensifies as the dressing sits in the fridge.
- If you are using dried dill instead of fresh then use a tsp, not tbsp.