Roasted Broccoli and Tomato Salad with Lemon
This is another really easy side dish that is brightened up by the lemon. Adding the tomatoes completely transforms this dish. The lemon adds such a great depth of flavour and freshness that it makes this a perfect end of Summer dish.
1 Head of broccoli, broken into small florets
1 Pint (454g) of Grape tomatoes, washed and patted dry
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4-5 cloves garlic smashed (Smash with a knife to release the oils but leave the cloves whole
Coarse salt (about 1/2 tsp)
Fresh ground black pepper (several turns of the pepper mill; about 1/4 tsp)
The Juice of half a lemon
– Preheat your oven to 425.
– To prepare the broccoli trim away the ends and cut it into small florets. Place the florets in cold clean water, agitate it and allow any grit in the florets to fall to the bottom of the bowl or sink.
– After the broccoli is clean transfer it to a baking sheet. Pat the broccoli dry with a clean dishcloth or paper towel. Add the garlic, the tomatoes, the olive oil, the coarse salt and black pepper to the pan. Mix all the ingredients together (on the baking sheet) ensuring the broccoli and tomatoes are well coated in the oil and seasoning.
– When the oven is ready place the baking sheet on the middle rack; roast for 20 minutes but shake the pan after about 10 minutes.
– The broccoli should be slightly blackened and the tomatoes will have begun to burst when you take the pan out of the oven.
– Transfer the veggies to a serving bowl and squeeze the lemon juice over the top.
– Taste and adjust seasoning and then serve.
1. Cherry tomatoes would work here as well.