French Onion Dip
With the holidays coming it is more important than ever to find that delicate balance between indulgence and gluttony! I love the cheese tray and the veggies and dip. The bad news? They’re really loaded with fat. The good news? This recipe is virtually fat free and delicious; and good for you!
Makes about one cup
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced in half moons
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
– Place a frying pan over medium low heat and add the olive oil.
– When the pan has warmed, add the onions, thyme sprigs, and season with salt and pepper.
– Cook the onions “low and slow” for about 25 minutes, until they are soft and well “carmel” in colour (you’re caramelizing onions here!).
– Remove the thyme sprigs and set the onions aside to cool.
– Measure out the amount of onions you have caramelized and combine them with the same amount of fat free sour cream in a food processor.
– Blend the onion and sour cream mixture until it is smooth.
– Taste and adjust seasoning.
- The key here is to have equal parts carmelized onions and sour cream.
- A medium onion makes about a half cup of camelized onions.
- This is a great make-ahead, the flavours develop more as it sits but it has enough flavour to be served immediately.