Greek-ish Pan Pizza
This is another pan pizza, this one is totally inspired by my Greek-ish salad. Honestly, this pizza is so hearty I was full after one piece. As always though, serve with a salad to make this a complete meal.
Half a batch of my whole wheat pizza dough recipe
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 medium tomato, sliced
1 tsp dried oregano
2 Slices of red onion, rings pulled apart
¼ Cup kalmata olives, pitted and sliced in half
90 g grated part skim mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp reduced fat feta cheese, diced or crumbled
– Preheat your oven to 425.
– You’ll need a cast iron skillet (preferably) or an oven safe skillet.
– After you have made the dough and it has rested for an hour, pour one tbsp of the olive oil into the cast iron skillet. Use a brush or paper towel to completely grease the pan in an even layer with the oil.
– Turn the heat on the pan to medium high.
– Put the pizza dough in the frying pan (directly from the bowl) and spread it out completely covering the bottom of the pan.
– When the bottom of the pizza is browned and you can see the dough is starting to cook on top, you can build your pizza;
– Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of olive oil evenly over the dough.
– Top with the tomato slices and then season them with salt and pepper.
– Evenly top with the oregano, then the red onions, and then the olives.
– Top with the mozzarella, then the feta cheese.
– Place the pan in the oven for 15-18 minutes, until the cheese has melted and is slightly browned. The crust should also be browned at this point.
- As I mentioned in my “Greek-ish” salad, green peppers would work here but I personally wasn’t in the mood for green peppers!
- You can make the dough ahead of time.
- I wouldn’t serve a Greek salad with this pizza that would be too much of the same.