Like the roasted asparagus, this is an easy, healthy, elegant side. Oh and a quick note; this is how I got my sister to cook (and eat) broccoli!
1 Head of broccoli, broken into small florets
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4-5 cloves garlic smashed (Smash with a knife to release the oils but leave the cloves whole
1/2 – 1 tsp coarse salt (a few pinches, to taste)
¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper (several turns of the peppermill)
Preheat oven to 425
– To prepare the broccoli trim away the ends and cut into small florets. Place the florets in cold clean water, agitate it and allow any grit in the florets to fall to the bottom of the bowl or sink.
– After the broccoli is clean transfer to a baking sheet. Pat the broccoli dry with a clean dishcloth or paper towel. Add the garlic, olive oil, coarse salt and black pepper to the broccoli. Mix all the ingredients together (on the baking sheet) ensuring the broccoli is well coated in the oil and seasoning.
– When the oven is ready place the baking sheet on the middle rack; shake the pan after about 10 minutes.
– The broccoli will be in the oven for 15 to 18 minutes depending on the size of the florets.
– The broccoli should be golden and the tips should be slightly blackened when you take it out of the oven.
1. Does this sound familiar? Change up the vegetable and you change up the experience.