Spinach Dip in a Bread Bowl
It’s still party season and here is a great way to get a head start on your New Year’s resolution. I’ve cut out a large amount of fat and calories by using fat free sour cream in place of mayo (and you can’t even tell!).Print
It’s still party season and here is a great way to get a head start on your New Year’s resolution. I’ve cut out a large amount of fat and calories by using fat free sour cream in place of mayo (and you can’t even tell!).
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
3/4 cup fat free sour cream (or yogurt/Greek yogurt)
the juice of half a lemon
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
5 dashes Worcestershire sauce
2 dashes hot sauce
300 g frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained (and cooled) (cooked and drained (and cooled))
1 Celery stalk, (diced)
1/2 Small red onion, (diced)
2 Green onions (scallions), (sliced)
675 g Pumpernickel loaf, (cut out the centre to create a bowl (about half way down))
- In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, sugar, salt, pepper, Worcester sauce and hot sauce; mix well.
- Add in the spinach, celery, red onion, and green onion; again mix well.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Transfer the spinach mixture to the bread bowl.
- Cut the piece of bread you took out of the centre of the loaf to create the bowl and cut it into cubes and place around the bowl to serve.
- It’s easier if you can make the spinach ahead of time.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 5 Minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Spinach, Spinach Dip, Dip, Party food, healthy, healthy spinach dip, healthy party food, low fat dip, low fat spinach dip