Country Fried Chicken without the Fried
I have said it many times and I will say it again; I’m not a machine. I am just as tempted to eat that fried chicken because let’s face it, it’s ridiculously delicious! This is my low fat, baked version and I must admit this is awesome! It is flavourful and crispy and the only fat in it is from the low fat or no fat buttermilk.
4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
2-3 cups low fat or no fat buttermilk
2-3 tbsp Hot sauce
2 cups whole wheat (unseasoned) breadcrumbs
1 tbsp Paprika
2 tbsp Chopped fresh dill
– In a bowl combine buttermilk and hot sauce, mix well. For mild to medium spice the colour should be peachy. If you like it spicy add more hot sauce!
– Place chicken in the buttermilk/hot sauce mixture. The chicken should be completely submerged in the liquid.
– Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let marinade for at least 4 hours, up to 24 hours, in the fridge.
When the chicken is finished marinating:
– Combine the breadcrumbs with the paprika, dill, salt and pepper; about 1/2 tbsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
– Take chicken out of liquid and shake off the excess but do not pat dry. Place the chicken in the breadcrumb mixture and press lightly to ensure the chicken is well coated.
– Place chicken in the fridge to let the breading set for at least 30 minutes.
– Preheat oven to 375.
– Place a roasting rack* on top of a baking sheet.
– Place the chicken on top of the roasting rack (this allows the chicken to get crispy on both sides without burning or going soggy on one side) and bake for 20 to 25 minutes (depending on size of the chicken breasts, obviously larger portions need more time in the oven!).
– Honestly this chicken is so juicy and flavourful that you forget that it is low in fat, nutritious and full of protein.
1. Make sure you trim the excess fat off the chicken breasts before you place it in the marinade.
2. You can use an oven safe cooling rack in place of a roasting rack, the principle is the same.