Cheese pizza doesn’t get enough credit; usually the more toppings the better the pizza? I think cheese pizza allows you to taste and appreciate the dough, the sauce, the fresh herbs and yes, the cheese. These ingredients are highlighted rather than incidental.
1 batch of whole wheat dough (pizza dough recipe)
1 batch of the pizza sauce (pizza sauce recipe)
175 g grated part skim mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
5 or 6 Fresh Basil leaves sliced in a chiffonade (ribbons)
– After the dough has baked for 12 minutes (as per pizza dough recipe) pour the entire bowl of tomato sauce on the crust; spread the tomato sauce evenly across the crust with a spoon.
– Top the sauce with the mozzarella.
– Top the mozzarella with the parmesan.
– Top the pizza with the fresh basil ribbons.
– Bake the pizza at 425 for 12-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is slightly browned.
- Chiffinaud simply means thin slices; stack the basil leaves into a pile and roll them length wise and then slice into ribbons.