Spaghetti and Meatballs
So I think I have stressed how much I love taking fatty food and making it low fat and healthy but have I stressed my other passion? I love getting this done in under an hour! That’s right; spaghetti and meatballs that are low fat and done in under an hour. I’m the modern day nonna except I’m 34 … and blond! Besides being healthy… this is a great dish for a special occasion, like say, New Years Eve! Happy New Year everyone!
1 medium onion grated
1 lb. /500 g extra lean ground beef (or chicken or turkey)
3 cloves garlic crushed
½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs (unseasoned)
½ cup tomato (marinara) sauce at room temperature.
A handful of fresh Italian parsley chopped (about 1 tbsp)
2 tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 375 g box of whole wheat spaghetti
– If possible make the tomato sauce ahead of time but if not then start with that and prepare as recipe outlines.
– Remove half a cup of the marinara sauce from the pot once it is cooked and set aside to cool.
– Preheat the oven to 350 F
– In a large bowl grate the onion using a box grater.
– Then place the meat over the grated onion (this is not a technique but a way to save your eyes from the onion juice!).
– Then add the garlic, bread crumbs, the tomato sauce, parsley, egg, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
– Mix all of the ingredients together with your hands; stop just when the ingredients have come together, you don’t want to over work the meat.
– Then start to roll the meat balls and then place on a nonstick baking sheet. If you don’t have a good quality nonstick baking sheet line it with parchment or wax paper rather than using oil.
– To help make sure the meatballs are uniform in size I divide the meat into 4 portions (the same way I make burgers) and then divide each portion into 3. The meatballs should be rolled into the size of a golf ball (there will be 12 meatballs).
– Bake the meatballs for 25 minutes
– Meanwhile put a large pot of water to boil and cook the pasta according to the directions.
– If you have made the tomato sauce ahead of time then you will want to warm it up on a low heat. If you made the sauce fresh then keep the heat on low.
– When the meatballs are done in the oven remove them from the baking sheet and place them in the warm tomato sauce.
– When the pasta is cooked, strain it and return the noodles to the pot. Add about half of the tomato sauce and mix well.
– Then to plate; divide the pasta evenly on 4 plates and top with 3 meatballs each and top each plate evenly with the remaining sauce.
- If you are using turkey or chicken OMIT the egg and use only 1/2 tsp of salt (the pepper can remain the same).
- Even if you make the tomato/marinara sauce fresh this will be on your table in under an hour!!! Trust me, time it!
- Serve with fresh parmesan