Crispy Bacon Pan Pizza with Mushrooms
This is another dish with Mike in mind! Anything with bacon and he’s a happy guy! The trick is to pre-cook the bacon and strain the fat before putting the bacon on the pizza; it’s crispy and delicious and not too fattening!
½ Batch of my whole wheat pizza dough
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
½ Cup Passata (strained tomatoes)
1 277 g package of white button mushrooms, sliced and browned
2 Strips of bacon, sliced and browned until crispy
90 g grated part skim mozzarella cheese
1 tsp of dried oregano
– Preheat your oven to 400.
– You’ll need a cast iron skillet (preferably) or an oven safe skillet.
– After you have made the dough and it has rested for an hour, pour one tbsp of the olive oil into the cast iron skillet. Use a brush or paper towel to completely grease the pan in an even layer with the oil.
– Turn the heat on the pan to medium high.
– Put the pizza dough in the frying pan (directly from the bowl) and spread it out completely covering the bottom of the pan.
– When the bottom of the pizza is browned and you can see the dough is starting to cook on top, you can build your pizza;
– Spread the passata evenly across the dough and then season well with salt and pepper.
– Top evenly with the mushrooms and then the bacon.
– Top the pizza evenly with the mozzarella.
– Sprinkle the oregano evenly across the pizza.
– Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until the cheese has melted and is slightly browned; the crust should also be browned at this point.
- Feel free to use any mushrooms you prefer here, just make sure you cook them first so that they give off their water before you put them on the pizza.
- Feel free to try using pizza sauce in place of plain passata but really, it works here!
- This is a great with a salad too!