There is simply no way to compare store-bought mayonnaise to homemade. This mayo is light and creamy and has the flavour and kick from the jalapeno peppers. With that said you must be careful when working with raw eggs but I am A-Okay with the risks because this mayonnaise is that good!
Makes about 1 ½ Cups
1 Large egg at room temperature
2 tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 Cup canola oil
2 tsp white wine vinegar
1 Green onion/scallion
½ Jalapeno pepper (seeds and all)
Use a food processor or blender; mix the egg, Dijon, salt and pepper until smooth.
Slowly drizzle in the oil and continue to mix until it thickens.
Add in the vinegar.
Throw in the green onion and jalapeno; continue to puree until the veggies and just chopped up.
Transfer to a serving dish and refrigerate, covered until you’re ready to use it 🙂
- I used white wine vinegar but really any vinegar will work.
- Feel free to use lemon juice in place of vinegar.
- Vegetable oil will work but I prefer canola.
- I haven’t tried this with olive oil so I’m not going to comment on success/failure!
- This will last in the fridge for up to a week but you have to wrap it up tightly.