I still have the worst garlic breath ever; I’m not going to lie but oh man, was it worth it!
1 large head of romaine washed and broken into pieces
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 egg yolk
2 tsp anchovy paste or 4 anchovy fillets diced
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Juice of half a lemon
1 tbsp fresh grated Romano cheese
1 tbsp fresh parmesan cheese
Fresh ground pepper
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tbsp good quality balsamic or red wine vinegar
8 slices of multigrain baguette; 1 inch thick slices
– Toast the bread in the oven or BBQ
– When the bread is toasted rub each piece with the raw garlic on both sides; set aside and let cool.
– In a large salad bowl combine the extra virgin olive oil, egg yolk, anchovy paste or fillets, Dijon mustard, the lemon juice, the Romano cheese, and crush and add the garlic cloves here as well.
– Whisk together
– Cut the slices of bread into one inch cubes.
– Add the romaine lettuce and bread cubes into the bowl with the salad dressing; coat well
– After the lettuce and croutons are well coated with the dressing, add the vinegar and again mix well.
– Top with the remaining parmesan cheese.
– Serve immediately
1. This is a really strong Caesar dressing so even if it looks light on the lettuce it is STRONG!
2. Feel free to make the croutons ahead of time and to also prep the lettuce but don’t prepare the salad dressing too earlier; no longer than an hour (and then keep it in the fridge) due to the raw egg yolk.
3. Do NOT omit the egg yolk.
4. Feel free to omit the vinegar at the end but this is a really amazing step that adds tons of flavour.