Okay so it’s a lame title but curry turkey burger? Turkey burger with curry? This recipe was made with turkey in mind but feel free to use whatever ground meat you like.
1 Package of extra lean ground turkey (usually between 400 and 500g)
½ Cup plain fat free yogurt
3 tbsp curry powder
3 Green onions/scallions, sliced (both green and white parts)
½ tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
– Mix all ingredients in a bowl and divide into 4 portions. Roll each portion into a ball and then flatten it into the shape of a burger. Push down on the centre to keep it from turning into a baseball once it is cooked.
– You can panfry these burgers or barbeque them just be warned that these burgers are very soft and liable to fall apart if you touch them too much so whatever method of cooking you choose be sure not to touch them until they are ready to be flipped.
– The trick to grilling/cooking these burgers is to place them on a really hot grill, max heat for the first 30 seconds or so. This will sear the outside making it easier to keep the burger intact when it’s time to be flipped.
– Drop the heat to medium high or a smidge lower just make sure the meat is cooked on the inside and not burned on the outside.
– The burgers should be ready to be flipped after about 5 to 6 minutes.
– You can tell the burgers are cooked when the juices run clear, again about 5 to 6 minutes on each side.
– Lightly coat the grill or pan with oil before you turn on the heat, this will keep the meat from sticking.
- Does not use oil spray once the heat is on; it’s flammable!
- Serve on toasted whole wheat buns
- Garnish anyway you like but I really liked lettuce, tomato and radish. These garnishes cut through the creaminess of the yogurt.