Mushroom and Asparagus Medley with a Soy Sauce and White Wine Glaze
We’ve all been there; we have vegetables that need to be cooked before they become a science experiment but we want to try something new, and quick. This was me the other day, I had mushrooms and asaparagus in the fridge but really wanted something new. This salad is actually a new favourite of mine!
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 227 g package of button mushrooms, sliced
1 325 g bunch of asparagus, cleaned and cut into thirds (about 1.5 inch pieces)
3 Cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp white wine
1 tbsp sodium reduced soy sauce
– Place a large frying pan on high heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot (it will ripple) add the mushrooms and sautee for 5 minutes on high heat, until the mushrooms are about halfway cooked and have started to give off some of their liquid.
– Lightly season with salt and pepper.
– Add the asparagus pieces to the pan and again, lightly season with salt and pepper.
– Sauté the aspargus for 2 minutes and then add the garlic.
– Sauté the garlic for 30 seconds, careful not to let it burn.
– Add the white wine and the soy sauce, coat all of the vegetables well.
– Keep the pan on the high heat until the liquid has boiled out and left a glaze on the vegetables.
– Taste and adjust seasoning.
– Serve immediately.
- I know, I have a few recipes with soy sauce but it’s so good!
- The wine gives an extra depth of flavour here.
- Red wine works as well.
- For a little heat, you can add some chili flakes to the oil, just before you add the mushrooms, about ½ tsp would work.
- I recommend serving this dish immediately but it fares well at room temperature.
- I say to lightly season because the soy sauce has a lot of salt, even the sodium reduced one.