I haven’t had a French fry since February 2006. I have totally sworn off deep fried food. These “wedgies” are my answer to a low fat healthy French fry without the guilt of the take out window.
2 large russet potatoes scrubbed clean and dry (keep skin on)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp Montreal steak spice (or any spice blend you prefer)
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees
- Slice the potatoes into wedges: cut the potatoes in half, cut the halves in half and then cut the halves into halves and repeat!… cut in half and cut each half into half (quarters) then cut each quarter in half; cut those quarters in half… a large russet potato should give you 16 thin wedges!
- In a large bowl coat the wedges with the oil and then coat with the seasoning.
- Lay all the potato wedges on one side evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 13 minutes.
- With a spatula or tongs flip the potato wedges onto their other side and bake for 12 minutes.
- It is fun to try this recipe with different seasoning blends; I usually stick to Montreal seasoning but I have used BBQ, cayenne seasoning and a combination of the above.
- It is also fun to use Rosemary and coarse salt here or any blend of dried herbs you have on hand.
- Coarse salt is important for the crunch.
- The wedges should be about a quarter inch in thickness…. In case the above wasn’t clear!
- Yes, it is half a potato per person; portion, portion, portion!