Fat free waffles? What? Would I lie to you? These waffles are savoury meaning not sweet; they can be used in place of bread or English muffins, topped with yummy sauces (such as “My Answer to a Hollandaise Sauce”), proteins and veggies. Beyond yummy and totally filling.
1 Cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 Cup low fat or no fat buttermilk
2 tbsp fat free plain yogurt
– In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt
– In another large bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg and yogurt.
– Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix; careful not to over mix the batter (stop when it is all combined).
– Cook according to your waffle iron’s manufacturer’s directions. I added a ½ cup to the waffle iron with the heat setting at 3 (out of 5) and let the batter cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
- I did not grease the waffle iron first, mine is non-stick and it worked just fine.
- I found that if the waffles stuck to the iron plates it was because they were not fully cooked so I put the press back down for another minute and then found they came out without a problem.
- This is a plain savoury recipe like I mentioned above, try these in place of your morning toast or English muffin.
- My sister and I had the savoury waffles with the “My Answer to a Hollandaise Sauce”, sauce, topped with a poached egg (under “The Basics”); my healthy version of “Eggs Benedict”.