Somewhere along the line avocados became a fruit to be avoided (yes, it is a fruit). While yes, there are a lot more calories and fat (healthy fat) in an avocado the health benefits of this food, in my mind, make this a super food. Avocados are packed full of fibre to help with weight loss or maintenance, they are rich in antioxidants, which help prevent cancer, but also keep you young looking! You should really look into the benefits of an avocado but if nothing else, this guacamole is insane yummy; its creamy and flavourful and the only fat is from the avocado itself.
Serves 4 – 6
2 Medium avocados, flesh removed
The juice of one lime
¼ Cup fat free sour cream
2 Green onions (scallions), sliced
¼ tsp cumin
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
– Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mash together with a potato masher.
– Taste and adjust seasoning.
- To remove the flesh from the avocado, slice it in half lengthwise. Then remove the pit with a sharp knife (hit the pit with the blade of knife near the base, it will stick, then turn the knife and the pit will come out).
- Feel free to make this guacamole as smooth as you like; I prefer it a little chunky.
- I like refrigerating the guacamole for an hour before serving, I prefer it cold and the flavours meld together. To keep the guacamole from oxidizing and turning brown, place the avocado pits in the bowl with the guacamole and wrap the bowl tightly with plastic wrap (then place in the fridge).
- Cilantro is a natural accompaniment here but I can’t stand it, it tastes like soap to me. So, if you like it, you can add a handful of chopped cilantro here.