Creamy, Yummy Coleslaw
I love coleslaw, it’s so yummy and it’s so bad for you! Some cruel twist of fate took an incredibly healthy veggie (cabbage) and took the dressing that people drown it in and made it fattening! Seriously, I think it alleviates the guilt of eating the fried chicken (you know what I’m talking about) but it shouldn’t; it’s so bad for you. I’ve been perfecting this recipe for a year; I love it, it tastes creamy and yummy but it’s lowfat!
Makes 8 Cups
Half of a large head of cabbage (green, red, or a combination), shredded
1 Large Carrot, shredded
2 tbsp Light mayonnaise
¼ Cup + 2 tbsp (6 tbsp total) fat free sour cream
¼ Cup white wine vinegar
The juice of half a lemon
½ tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
– Combine the cabbage and carrots together.
– In a large bowl (large enough to hold the cabbage/carrot mixture) whisk the mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, lemon juice, dijon, sugar, salt and pepper together; mix well.
– When the dressing has been well whisked (it should be a creamy dressing) start incorparing the cabbage/carrot mixture. Do this in batches to ensure its all coated.
– Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours before serving. The longer it sits, the more flavour it develops.
– Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Ricewine vinegar works great in this recipt too, I wouldn’t use the redwine vinegar here though.
- Green cabbage has less carbs than the red.
- If you are going to use a prepackaged storebought coleslaw blend, the bags are usully between 340g and 397g; either half the recipe for the dressing or you will need two bags:)