Pancakes for my Poops
I’m back to work full time after being home with my love for mat leave and I’m not going to lie; I feel guilty. I feel guilty because he misses me and I feel guilty because it feels good to be back at work. I’m a horrible mother, aren’t I? I miss my little boy so much it’s hard to breathe but I love my work, it’s important and I’m good at it. Did I mention I feel guilty? On my day off I made my son some pancakes because his nanny told me he loves pancakes. Dagger removed from my heart; the nanny (who is amazing) knew something about my son that I didn’t because I was at work. To alleviate some of my guilt I made these pancakes, low fat and whole wheat… and then I cut them into the shapes of stars and hearts with a cookie cutter. The nanny was right; my little man loves pancakes, yes, even low fat, whole wheat ones, these are that good. Thank you to joyofbaking.com for the inspiration for this recipe.
Makes 8 pancakes
1 Cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking power
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 Cup (1% or fat free) buttermilk
1 Large egg
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp butter, divided
– Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in one bowl.
– In another bowl whisk together the buttermilk and egg, mix in the sugar.
– Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ones, mix to incorporate (see notes).
– In a large non-stick frying pan, add ½ tbsp butter to the pan. Heat the pan over medium-high heat, when the butter is melted and bubbling, spoon or ladle the batter into the pan, use a 1/4 cup scoop for each pancake.
– Flip the pancake when you start to see bubble forming on top of the pancake; the pancake should be browned.
– Fry the second side for 1-2 minutes, careful not to let it burn.
– Set the pancakes aside and then repeat the method with the second batch of pancakes.
– Use cookie cutters to cut the pancakes into any shape you choose; I did hearts and stars but honestly my son is one, I don’t think he noticed anything except for the maple syrup!
– Serve immediately!
- Don’t over mix the batter, stop mixing just when it comes together; lumps are good here.
- Blueberry and banana pancakes coming soon!