I love this recipe because the potatoes actually taste like French fries, mmmm, French fries. FYI, it doesn’t matter how long you go without French fries, when you drive in the general vicinity of a McDonalds, they just calls your name. I’ve been known to yell expletives back.
2 Large russet potatoes
2 – 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– Scrub the potatoes clean with a brush and then slice the potatoes into 1/2 inch slices (you are leaving the skin on the potatoes).
– Bring the potato slices to a boil in a large pot of water; after the water comes to a boil cook the potatoes for 6 minutes.
– Strain the potato slices and lay them out on a cutting board.
– Turn the BBQ or grill pan on high (425).
– Brush olive oil on the top of the potato slices and then season with the salt and pepper.
– When the grill is hot place the seasoned side down on the grill then oil and season the other side (the side facing up).
– Grill the potatoes for 4 minutes per side; rotate the potatoes after 2 minutes to get the same grill marks you get when you grill meat.
1. Like so many recipes this one is versatile in how you season it; you can use Cajun seasoning for a little heat or sometimes I use store bought Montreal Steak Seasoning Blend.
2. You can boil the potatoes ahead of time and grill them when you are ready to eat.
3. Portion, portion, portion! That’s right; half a potato per person!