Tuscan Style Savoury Waffles
Again, these are the flavours I consider “Tuscan”; I should really double check that with my father, he was born and raised in Tuscany!
1 Batch of the savoury waffle batter
3 sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves only; finely diced.
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
– In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
– In another large bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg, yogurt, rosemary, garlic, and extra virgin olive oil.
– Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix; careful not to over mix the batter (stop when it is all combined).
– Cook according to your waffle iron’s manufacturer’s directions. I added a ½ cup to the waffle iron with the heat setting at 3 (out of 5) and let the batter cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Again, I did not grease the waffle iron first, mine is non-stick and it worked just fine. I found that if the waffles stuck to the iron plates it was because they were not fully cooked so I put the press back down for another minute and then found they came out without a problem
- This particular recipe was insane with sliced tomatoes served on top!