Roasted Vegetable Tomato Sauce
This is a different approach to an Italian classic; the depth of flavour from the roasted vegetables is insane. It’s so hard to wrap my mind around the fact that this is healthy and low fat!
2 lb vine-ripened tomatoes
1 Medium onion, peeled and cut into large chunks
3 Cloves garlic, peeled
5-6 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
680 ml jar of passata (strained tomatoes)
1 Cup sodium-reduced stock
Combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and thyme with the olive oil and then season with salt and pepper.
Roast the veggies at 425 for 30 minutes.
Remove skins from the tomatoes and the thyme stems.
Add the veggies and all the yummy juices from the pan to a pot and combine with the passata.
Add the stock to the empty passata jar and swish it around to rinse out any yummy tomatoes and then add it to the pot; season with salt and pepper.
Simmer the sauce for 20-30 minutes, up to an hour.
Use an immersion blender, blender or food processor and puree the sauce until smooth.
Taste and adjust seasoning.
- You can use a 796 ml can of crushed tomatoes in place of passata.
- I used chicken stock but use whatever you have on hand.
- Roast the veggies ahead of time if possible because it’s easier to remove the tomato skins, otherwise just use tongs.
- Red peppers would be a great addition; just chop them up and add them to the pan with the tomatoes.
- Merry Christmas everyone!