Sadly, even though I have learned a lot about cooking from my mother, I don’t have any family cooking keepsakes. My mother did however buy me this cast iron skillet which I plan to hand down to my children one day! So I thought this would be a fun recipe to highlight this great kitchen tool. This recipe is more about the method, change up the toppings and the cheese and make this your own.
Half a batch of my whole wheat pizza dough recipe
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 medium tomato, sliced
90 g grated part skim mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp fresh grated parmesan cheese
5-6 Fresh basil leaves, torn
– Preheat your oven to 400.
– You’ll need a cast iron skillet (preferably) or an oven safe skillet.
– After you have made the dough and it has rested for an hour, pour one tbsp of the olive oil into the cast iron skillet. Use a brush or paper towel to completely grease the pan in an even layer with the oil.
– Turn the heat on the pan to medium high.
– Put the pizza dough in the frying pan (directly from the bowl) and spread it out completely covering the bottom of the pan.
– When the bottom of the pizza is browned and you can see the dough is starting to cook on top, you can build your pizza;
– Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of olive oil evenly over the dough.
– Top with the tomato slices and then season them with salt and pepper.
– Top with the mozzarella, then the Parmesan and then the basil.
– Place the pan in the oven for 11-12 minutes, until the cheese has melted and is slightly browned. The crust should also be browned at this point.
1. This is another recipe idea inspired by Gordon Ramsay; I can see why he’s so famous!!!
2. Serve with your favourite green salad for a complete meal!