Mike’s Other Pizza!
Who knew! I’m still with this amazing guy and he loves my food! When I’m lazy (yes this happens) Mike and I will order a pizza for dinner; pepperoni, mushrooms, green peppers, red onions; topped with goat cheese. This is Mike’s other pizza!
1 batch whole wheat pizza dough
1 batch tomato sauce for pizza
125 g sliced pepperoni
227 g button mushrooms washed and sliced
1 medium green pepper sliced
1 small onion sliced with the rings separated
175 g shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
70 g Low fat Goat’s Milk Cheese, crumbled
– Preheat the oven to 425
– Prepare the pizza crust as listed previously
– While the pizza is baking pan-fry the pepperoni; place a layer of the pepperoni on a cold frying pan. Over high heat fry the pepperoni until it has rendered its fat the edges are crispy, flipping once (if the pepperoni is browning too quickly drop the heat to medium high). Transfer the pepperoni to a paper towel lined plate.
– Wipe the pan with a paper towel. Return the pan to the high heat and add the mushrooms. Sautee until the mushrooms have given off their water (no oil in the pan and do not season the mushrooms).
– After the pizza dough has baked for 12 minutes top it with the tomato sauce.
– Then top with half of the mozzarella cheese.
– Then top with the pepperoni, then the mushrooms, then the green peppers, then the red onion and then finally top with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
– Top the pizza with the goat cheese.
– Bake for another 11 to 12 minutes; let stand for 5 minutes.
1. The pepperoni and mushrooms can be prepared ahead of time.
2. Do not skip cooking the pepperoni; when you see the fat in the pan and on the paper towel you will be thanking me (and yourself) that it is not in your stomach!
3. I used store-bought pepperoni but feel free to use salami in its place.