Cream of Broccoli Soup
Cream of broccoli soup; healthy and low fat? Trust me; look at the ingredient list, no cream! To be honest, I thought I was going to add cream but when I tasted it I realized it was already creamy. This is a really quick, healthy, hearty soup that is virtually fat free. The starchiness from the potato takes care of business.
Serves up to 6
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Medium onion, chopped
2 Cloves garlic, crushed
4 Cups sodium-reduced stock (I used chicken)
1 Head of broccoli, stems peeled; stems and florets cleaned and chopped
1 Medium russet potato, peeled and chopped
– In a large pot add the oil and heat over medium high heat. When the oil is hot (it will ripple) add the onion and season with salt and pepper. Sauté the onion for 5 to 7 minutes, until they are soft and translucent. Drop the heat if the onions are darkening too quickly.
– When the onions are sautéed add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds, careful not to burn the garlic.
– Then add the stock to the pot and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to release any of the food that may be stuck (deglazing).
– Bring the stock up to a boil.
– Add the broccoli and potato, season with salt and pepper.
– Drop the heat to medium low and cover with a lid. Simmer for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are soft (the broccoli will be cooked).
– With a hand mixer, food processor or a blender (follow directions for hot liquids), puree the soup completely (you want a completely smooth consistency).
– Taste and adjust seasoning.
1. You can use any stock of your choosing, vegetable to make this completely vegetarian.
2. To make this even richer you can add 1-2 tbsp of low fat cream but it really isn’t necessary.