Chocolate Cherry Biscotti
This is my decadent version of the Italian, twice baked cookie. The sweetness of the dried cherries add a richness and sweetness and it’s funny that this is described as decadent because it’s whole wheat and low fat!
Makes about 18 Biscotti
1 ½ Cup Whole wheat flour
¼ Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ Cup strong coffee, cooled to room temperature
2 tsp Vanilla extract
¼ Cup brown sugar
½ Cup dried cherries
2 tbsp chocolate chips
– Preheat your oven to 300.
– In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
– In another large bowl, whisk together the coffee, egg, brown sugar and vanilla.
– Pour the flour mixture into the coffee mixture and mix.
– Stop when the ingredients have just come together.
– Mix in the cherries and chocolate chips; this will be a dough at this point so it is easiest to use your hands.
– Pour the dough onto a nonstick baking sheet and shape it into the shape of a rectangle; about 4 inches in width and try to have the dough no thicker then ¾ inch (it will rise as it bakes).
– Bake it for 40 minutes.
– Remove it from the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes.
– Then using a serrated knife, slice the bread into ¾ inch thick slices.
– Place the slices on the baking sheet and return to the oven.
– Bake the slices for 10 minutes
– Voila… Chocolate Cherry Biscotti.
- I’m always tempted to add more sugar but when I get a bite of the cherry or chocolate chips I’m glad I didn’t.
- This is a great substitute for that afternoon indulgence because this is healthy and low fat!