This is my take on my mother’s burger recipe. I love, love, love this recipe. To me this is summer on a grill! A fun trick is to make a big batch of these burgers and then freeze them in individual portions; I wrap each burger in saran wrap and then put them in a freezer bag.
1 Package of extra lean ground beef (usually about 400 to 500 grams)
1 Medium onion, grated
2 Cloves garlic crushed
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
– In a large stainless steel bowl, stand a box grater in the middle of the bowl and (carefully) grate the entire onion. Make sure to scrape out all of the pulp and onion juice inside the grater and put it in the bowl.
– Then add all over the above ingredients to the bowl, mix just until everything comes together.
– Divide into 4 portions.
– Roll each portion and flatten into the shape of a burger, push down on the centre to keep it from turning into a baseball once cooked.
– Barbeque or pan fry at medium high heat. The burgers should be ready to be flipped after about 5 to 6 minutes. You can tell the burgers are cooked when the juices run clear.
– Serve on toasted whole wheat buns and garnish anyway you like!